African Journey

African Journey

Sunday, February 26, 2012

The Fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy and Peace (and watermelons and pineapple and bananas and apples)!

We had so much fun at the Tree of Life!!  Celebrating!!  John and I celebrated our 25th anniversary....so John purchased 25 pineapples, watermelons, 200 bananas and 200 apples for the children and mothers at the Tree of Life.  It was a GREAT celebration.

Clara thought that they pineapples looked so funny but loved the way they tasted.  :)  So cute.

I looked around the village....and kids were dancing and shouting "thank you Uncle John!"  They were so excited for fruit.  I smiled and smiled.  I tried to bring in the Lord reminding them that He was the true reason to celebrate.  I hope they heard....but really they were just enjoying the celebration....Precious.

Here, all of these children have been brought to the Tree of Life from various backgrounds.  Not one child that is here has had an easy life.  They have been abused, they have been hungry, they have been orphaned.  This day I looked around at the celebration.  Thanking the Lord.  He has brought them here and placed them in this "family".  He has a plan for each one of them.

I thought about the house moms during the celebration as well.   Some of these woman have had hard lives, too.  Some have buried husbands and children.  They have lost their families and are now creating new families with children they did not give birth to but love and support.  They sat around laughing and celebrating.

I am not sure why the fruit created such an electric atmosphere....maybe it was having so many different fruit on the same day....maybe it was the expectancy they had....knowing it was coming for a special day.  I don't know but the joy was overflowing.

A load of fruit brought a celebration here.  It was awesome.  In the midst of healing, in the midst of difficulties, in the midst of a nation that has one million orphans....a party.  Simple but moving.  It really reminded me to stop in the busyness of life and celebrate.  Celebrate this moment.  Celebrate the goodness of the Lord.  Celebrate people we love. 

I am so excited to share this excitement with you.  I hope you each grab a pineapple, apple or banana and think of a family of 200 children at the Tree of Life.  I ask you to pray for them in that moment.  The Lord is transforming their lives.  Healing the deep wounds, healing their bodies, and educating their minds.  He is good.  Please remember these precious ones.

Love you,
Stephanie

4 comments:

  1. Dear Steph, What a great entry. Thank you so much. We will never look at pineapples, watermelon, bananas, or apples again, without thinking of this wonderful event. We love you and pray for you every day. Love, Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. An incredible entry!! We are lifting them up in prayer even now! =D

    Love from Grenada,
    Clay and Lizz

    ReplyDelete
  3. So humbling and touching, Stephanie. Thank you for a glimpse of how God is working a half a world away. Love and miss you, Diane C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Stephanie: Don't know if you remember me or not and it really doesn't matter.. I am so pleased with the way you have followed Gods will in working with such disadvantaged children and the risk you take to your own health. You are a true disciple of God and do what Jesurs did when He was on earth. I pray for you and the children everyday. I told our missionary group "Now this is the kind of missonary we need to support" and we did some and I pray more is to come. God Bless and keep well. Mary Gretton

    ReplyDelete