I love the children of Zambia with all my heart. I have seen poverty that does not make sense to me. I have seen death come too soon to precious children. I have seen the result of abuse that leaves deep scars - scars that are so deep only a Heavenly Father can heal. I cry a lot. I pray a lot. I am left without answers...a lot.
Sometimes when my heart feels heavy - a precious moment comes across my way. A gift. I thought I would share a few precious moments.

One Sunday morning, I went to church at the Tree of Life. Think a pavilion filled with 170 children that the world discarded. Children that have been rescued and have been loved. Children that now are singing and believing that God is Good. God reigns. "I am all that the Bible says I am" they say. Their voices sing, their bodies dance and it felt like I was in Heaven. Then in a clear sweet voice, Clara started leading worship with the song Jesus is so sweet. Drums in the background. Awesome.


Our older children that stay at Tree of Life go to a government school in Lusaka. They have been doing great there. Some of our children qualified for a regional track meet. Many of you know that I LOVE to cheer at athletic events....so I went. Ready to cheer! cheer! cheer!! It was fantastic. Our children did great. They thought my cheers were hilarious! I cheered for them, I cheered for their friends, I cheered and cheered. They ran and ran! The runners did not wear shoes. They were on a dirt track with rocks. It did not matter....they were fast! Terrific! The best part was that I saw our children with their school friends. I saw them in the "real world" and they were great! I was so proud.

One Sunday after church, the girls gathered in the pavilion to paint their toe nails and finger nails silver. They celebrated life and friendship that day. It was heart warming. Can you imagine 100 girls painting their nails, giggling and laughing, and enjoying the gift of friendship?
I believe every child is worth fighting for. I believe each child has a destiny that is far greater than death, disease and poverty. I believe with all my heart the Lord has great things in store for the children of Zambia. After all....Jesus is so SWEET.
Love you!
Stephanie
Steph: Thanks so much for your beautiful, moving update. We recognize that you have a deep love for the kids of Zambia and that God has placed you there. We are proud of you and the work you are doing there. We miss you; you are in our thoughts and prayers. Lots of love, Mom & Dad
ReplyDeleteStephanie, you are so SWEET and AMAZING and I miss you so much! I can perfectly picture you cheering your heart out at that track meet. David and I daily pray for you and all your beautiful Zambian kiddos. Love you! Leah
ReplyDeleteSteph, I miss seeing you at work. So funny, my nails are silver too! Maureen says Hi and she said to tell you that she is the good one! I guess I will let her continue to think that. We are listening to Joseph Prince teaching on commumion and how the early church took it every time they met. There was no sickness then. Several of us are talking about taking it daily. There was another person years ago that took communion every day and had no sickness. We learn so much from his teachings, he is awesome. We love and pray for you. Diane & Maureen
ReplyDeleteGreat work Stephanie...and even though many of us desperately miss you here in america, we know that the lives of so many will never be the same.
ReplyDeleteGreetings from us all...and the Lerohl's cant wait to see you in June and July!!!
Love your John.